My Blog

header ads

T-Mobile Home Internet: Fast enough for gaming?

T-MOBILE HOME INTERNET

"I have T-Mobile internet" 

It's small and it's kind of cute but is 
it fast enough for me to game let's check it out and I've been testing out new ways to get home internet service such as star-link and today T-Mobile's long tees home internet service is officially here the internet service is 60 a month with auto-pay and has no taxes contracts or equipment fees for the modem which doubles as a WI-FI 6 router and the service takes advantage of T-mob's 4g LTE and 5g networks and depending on your location and other factors you can expect to see data speeds from 25 to 100 megabits a second with no data caps so it's like tethering but with no limitations I do have T-Mobile as mobile carrier and my average download speed on LTE it's about 50 megabits a second at a latency around 40 milliseconds.

So that's GONNA be my expectation for'

The T-Mobile home internet service as 
well quite frankly though it's just really nice to see that there are more competitive options in terms of the home internet space your starter kit comes with a home internet gateway which acts as both modem and WI-FI router power supply underneath the cable let's set it up first thing first you want to make a plan where you'll be placing your gateway and depending on your home and your situation you may have to move it around to see where you have the best possible connection but for me in my case I'm going to be placing the gateway in my living room next to the balcony window one set power it up and download the T-Mobile home internet app in the app it's going to pretty much guide you step by step and the first thing it'll ask you to do is scan a QR code at the bottom of the gateway one scan is GONNA ask you to wait about two minutes and after two minutes you're able to change the WI-FI name and password a quick note you're able to use your existing WI-FI router and if you choose to do so make sure to give it a new name and password for the T-Mobile router here at the top of the gateway. You'll see the status of your connection and in the app you'll see whether or not you're connected to the internet but seems like we are and we're ready to go my friends from ASUS was kind enough to send me their tough dash f15 laptop and I know you're dying to know what the speeds are using T-Mobile's home internet so.

let's run a speed test First I'm GONNA;

Double check that I am connected to the 
T-Mobile internet and I am and the ASUS laptop and T-Mobile gateway both have WI-FI six enabled so hopefully we can get some awesome speeds and let's run some tests here we go cool the latency is at 46 milliseconds and we're getting pretty good download speeds we're hitting about 100 megabits of seconds right now cool our average download speed is at 110 megabits and our upload speeds are hitting about 15 megabits a second this is pretty good. So i am getting decent speeds might as well do some 4k streaming. I'm going to try to skim through and see if it's going to follow up we're all going to die and it'll probably happen sooner than we like but what if there was a way to escape the absence there is a little lag but that's you know I think it's fine streaming in 4k seems to be fine everything looks clean and crisp and I'm able to go back and forth without any issues the only thing to keep in mind is that HULU t-v is not yet supported on T-Mobile internet. That's something that they have to figure out in the back end but YOUTUBE YOUTUBE t-v NETFLIX everything else should be okay next up let's go on the video chat. We are using T-Mobile home internet as we speak so look good it's okay.

let's get I'm on T-Mobile internet too,

So it seems like we're both 
running fine here I've been running speed tests kind of you know sporadically uh since the beginning and I I'm not getting really you know 100 150 megabits per second that's been promised uh usually the average for me is more in the in the 40s and 50s that is more than fast enough I mean i can still you know do zoom calls i can still uh you know stream 4k video and just of course do my regular work-load day to day which is that's all that matters to me are you gaming on T-Mobile internet uh you know I'm really not a gamer and since you brought it up I have heard anecdotally that gaming can be kind of hit and miss with the um with T-Mobile's gateway because there's a bit of lag the lag tends to be a little bit higher than uh with the traditional cable modem rick this thing gaming might be an issue on the network because of the latency and the lag but for my final test I'm going to attempt to play CS go so Let's give it a go move it move it a little bit of lag So far so good I mean I just played around and it seems to be playing okay right now it was a little bit of lag but it was able to recover pretty quick. I was able to play CS go overall my experience has been fairly smooth I didn't experience any network issues or network dropouts I did notice that there were varying speeds throughout the day for the past few days my average latency had been hovering at around 48 milliseconds with an average download speed about 40 megabits a second so depending on your location the time of day and other factors such as network congestion that's something to be aware of but if you're in the market for a new ISP I'd highly recommend you checking out T-Mobile just because there's no contract or upfront cuts besides the monthly payment and if it doesn't work for you. You'll be able to cancel it plus rick had this to say now that there's this other player in the market you have another bargaining chip when the time comes to maybe you want to renegotiate your rates like if you've got com cast or another cable company you feel like they're charging you too much and you find out that T-Mobile home internet is available in your area you know now you can call them up and say hey look I'm going to switch to T-Mobile and how quickly they are willing to renegotiate and let me know in the comments below do you welcome these new competition in the home internet space.

    let me know your thoughts. 

Post a Comment

0 Comments